Saturday, May 27, 2006

Another Swallow From The Big Crazy Quilt


There are more Bag pictures to show you yet, but I have to keep the mystery and intrigue going so I thought I'd post some others from the quilt instead, although, the night is young.
This picture was taken from a stick-on pretend tattoo I bought from a Show. Like an agricultural type show. I'd intended to wear it to one of the quilt show presentations, just peeking above my left breast or something, but accidently left it at a newsagency in their photocopier, never to be seen again.

The top tail wing is annoyingly crooked, but you get that. 'Eitlean Beag' means 'Little Bird' in Irish Celtic. The words are around the other way, that is... 'beag' is 'little' and 'eitlean' is 'bird'. I was sitting at the Hoddles Creek Draught-Horse Festival, embroidering as a demonstrator for someone or another, and an oldish Irish gentleman came up and talked to me for some time. I could have listened to him all day too, with his gorgeous accent. I'd been embroidering the Armstrong motto (my maiden and maybe soon to be reclaimed name) which is 'Invictus Maneo' ('I Remain Unvanquished'... a lie, by the way) and I asked him if he could give me some Irish, since he told me he studied the Celtic. I'll always remember him.

The swirley surrounds are from the yugoslavian Embroidery book I keep mentioning. I miss that book.

No comments: