Saturday, May 20, 2006

Crazy Quilt Detail

I thought I'd pop in a few of the less pictorial details from the quilt. This one shows an amazing piece of Indian metal and silk weave I bought. It was already crinkled, so Smocking seemed an appropriate response.

I find that adding texture like this works well if you keep it to a minimum. Rucching and abstract folding also looks nice, but too much and you've got a mess. Remember that the Crazed effect is already a bit messy, so it doesn't work when you get too carried away with the texture (in my humble opinion).
The border to the left is done with two rows of a Feather stitch variation (work three on one side, then jump over the other side for three), which is couched at the junction, then Knots. Bullion roses with Fly stitch leaves finish the border combination.
Please excuse the inadequate illustrations for stitching, they are the best I can find at the moment. If anyone has a better source of instructions, please send me a link!

No comments: