Friday, May 05, 2006

Appliqued Bee


The Bee was a long time favourite of mine. So much so that family and friends bought me bee things all of the time... Bee cards for my birthday, Bee ornaments etc. One little girl made me a Bee embroidery, which was such a lovely gift (I'll find it and show you).

The fact is, Bees are lovely things and well suit embroidery. Have a look at my so named Rabbit Cushion for another example. There are others besides, either not finished or worn out. I need to buy a scanner so I can give you precise patterns here abd there.

This one is appliqued in a crushed velvet. with silk/metallic fabric wings. Usually I work the legs in Double Herringbone stitch, but these are simply outlined and filled with Stem stitch, with a single Fly stitch on the end. An open Cretan stitch background works well as it looks like honeycomb (see the Rabbit Cushion again), and I'm sorry, but I can't find a link to show you how!

The fiddle on the wings and for the feeler thingy's are just Back stitch. Easy!

1 comment:

Maddie Can Fly said...

Absolutely LOVE the bee! You do such beautiful work -- I love it all.