Saturday, May 20, 2006

Grandmother's Fan Detail

Otherwise known as 'Japanese Fans'. I call it 'Grandmother's Fans' because of my darling Grandma.
I put a lot of the woven Maltese Crosses over the quilt, particularly on the fans. If you take your time, they're not difficult, I promise, and they're fun. I space the outside stitches a bit... that is, don't have them meet in the middle (you'll see where I mean if you look at the link), this accentuates the cross a bit.
The spiders web is worked in some mohair I pulled out of a fancy knitting wool. It had ribbon and this and that all bundled together.
Using the Holly-Hock old-fashioned fancywork as a border also works well. I did a big one on the Lion & the Unicorn cushion cover I'm making too.
The black line you can see at the bottom of the photo is the outside binding/border.

No comments: